If you are being contacted by creditors in order to settle a debt that you owe, you may feel like you are being harassed. Many creditors bend the laws or bully consumers in order to pressure the consumer into making a payment or paying the debt in full, leaving the consumer feeling vulnerable and forced into compliance.
Many debt collectors assume that most consumers do not know what their rights are, or what the company can and cannot do when attempting to collect a debt, so they push their boundaries, such as making threats they cannot legally carry out.
There are many things that a creditor is legally not allowed to do when contacting you to settle a debt, including:
- Say they are an attorney if they are not one
- Tell other people or companies about your debt
- Threaten that you will go to jail if you do not make a payment or settle your debt
- Contact you – especially at your place of business – if you have notified them in writing not to do so
- Call you before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Make empty threats
The experienced attorneys at tThe Law Office of Stewart Lim know how to deal with creditors, and will take action to stop you from receiving harassing letters, emails and phone calls from creditors.
If you’re tired of receiving letters and phone calls from creditors and feel like you are being harassed, we can help. Call us today to schedule a consultation and let us get the harassment to stop.